Eight weeks ago Taye applied and got into an accelerated nursing program at a college in South Dakota. It's just a 12 month program and started super fast... so he'd be done and working as a nurse a whole year sooner than we expected. We worked non-stop getting everything set up and then on Dec 29 Taye and I packed up his car and headed out for the long drive.
It was a lot of driving. 12 hours the first day to Indianapolis. 8 hours the second day to Minnesota to visit with the Ricks (my littlest sister)
We toured Hannah's house, met Claire's guinea pigs.
Cute house.
Taye asked Hannah and Jake such good questions about nursing and church.
Derick came over the next morning and after a mega hug, and running to the gym to see Taye because he couldn't wait a second longer... opened a few more Christmas presents.
Tyrone always picks the best sweatshirts.
Then Jake took all the kids skiing/snowboarding.
And Hannah and I went to check out the downtown and eat lunch.
Later we checked out Derick's little apartment. He passed my cleaning check with flying colors. And we hung some family pictures on the wall.
On New Year's eve (after skiing) the kids watched some movies, and then we played a silly game. I laughed so hard!
On New Year's day we were up super early and on our way to South Dakota - the last 8 hours of driving.
The drive was super chill, straight and flat. Taye got pulled over for speeding mid morning. The officer seemed like a friendly grandpa, checked Taye's license in 5 mins and sent us on our way with a warning to slow down.
An hour later, while we were carefully following the speed limit when he got pulled over again. The speed limit was alternating between 80 and 65 and when the officer pulled us over our GPS was still showing us in an 80 zone. The office walked up to the passenger side where I was sitting and I said, "Wait, how can this be speeding, last we saw we were still in an 80." And he looked at Taye and said, "Get up and get in my car" Oh my gosh. My heart was beating so fast. Taye got out and followed the officer back to his car and sat there for 20 agonizing minutes - with a police dog in the back seat. I tried to look back to see Taye's facial expression but couldn't tell and I didn't want to antagonize the officer so I just sat still and waited. Taye said the officer just started asking a ton of questions and the more questions he asked the better Taye felt. He had specific detailed answers for every question. Why was he is SD? Headed to college for an accelerated nursing program starting tomorrow and finishing in Dec. Who was he traveling with? My mom. What had been the travel plans? First day to Indianapolis, second day to Minnesota, and up early this morning to drive the last section. What did his parents do for work? Dad is a nurse anesthetist, mom works in a university grant writing office.
As I got progressively more nervous, Taye was feeling calmer and calmer. Nothing to hide. And then he walked back to the car with another warning! What the hell!
We drove 70 the rest of the way. Not taking any chances. That was scary. And I'm so grateful that Taye was able to stay cool and calm - it saved us a scary situation.
Since it was a holiday we had to get the apartment key from the on call maintenance guy. We called to tell him we were an hour out, and then when we arrived to get the key. Then we had to call him a bit later to get the mattress and bed frame that had been delivered to the main office. Once we got in we unpacked the car, and worked like crazy getting everything set up. Assembling desk, bookshelf, bed frame. Hanging up shower curtain, putting all clothes and kitchen supplies away.
Then a late trip to Target to get a garbage can, vacuum, desk lamp and groceries. Taye kept working long after I went to sleep and finished a load of laundry in the laundry room at midnight. When he tried to get back into the apartment his key got stuck in the lock. He couldn't get it to budge and I couldn't unlock the door from the inside. We tried for so long and finally I said, we have to just call the maintenance guy again (for the 4/5/6th time in a day?!??!) I def woke him up and he was there in 10 mins drilling out the lock. It was such a racket in the middle of the night. Finally got in, installed a new lock and Taye went to bed. What a super long, crazy day!
I worked Tuesday while Taye was at school. Tuesday eve we grabbed a few more Target things and then worked out at the Y.
I flew home on Wednesday. Taye is on his way!









.jpeg)










Transformation! That apartment looks so homey. You have the touch! Taye is so fortunate for all the love and support! Well on his way! love, nana
ReplyDelete