Last week as she was running out the door, Blythe told me that there was a coyote in the ravine and she and the neighbor kids were going to find him. They had nerf guns and jump ropes to tie up a trap and I thought - sure, have fun!


Sunday morning our neighbor sent us a picture of the coyote in our backyard sitting very expectantly. And not much later I saw him walk right out of the ravine, sniff around in our yard and then leave.
Turns out in addition to their nerf guns and jump ropes they had also put out Blythe’s stuffed cat (kitty meow-meow) covered in slices of turkey and the coyote definitely found him and dragged him off and then came back later looking for more turkey flavored cats.
Someone in the neighborhood hired a trapper to get it and take it way out to the country. The HOA is covering the cost.
Blythe and I went down in the ravine today (still a little jungle-y from summer) to see if we could find the discarded cat. Sure enough… right across the stream. Dirty and wet but still in one piece. Nothing a good wash can’t fix.
And I’ll pay closer attention next time I hear my kids talking about hunting a wild animal.
I love that enthusiasm! It is a wild animal and they can bite--- I am glad he is relocated . nana r.
ReplyDeleteWe’ve definitely had the discussion about not picking up any snakes because it’s hard to tell which are venomous but I never thought we’d see a coyote on the back yard.
Delete