Blythe is supposed to head back to in person school next week. I live in constant fear that they will shut it all down again... but nothing I can do about that right now.
I thought you might like to hear about a day in the life of our home school survival since March....
I work out first thing while Blythe watches a show and eats a bowl of cereal, then I check my work email and take care of any tasks that needs to happen right away.
Then I help log Blythe into her laptop - student number, password, email, open rapid identity, select google classroom and then her home room teachers class and then on the stream click on the link to the live class. (Bigger kids can do this- little kids really need full time help through the whole process)
While Blythe is occupied with the live class I take a quick shower and get dressed for the day (I do hair and makeup and clothes every day because of zoom meetings) then back to the desk we share for more work. When Blythe is done with her live class I help her work through her assignments. Watch the positivity video and ask follow up questions. Find the letter land papers in her binder, Blythe works on them, then help her upload on See Saw. Practice spelling words. Log into Epic and listen to her read a book. Then literacy activity - some writing exercise which is always tortuous for me and her. She hasn't had "real school" since half way through her kindergarten year and I think she is way behind for both writing and reading...
When I have a meeting I try to set her up with some work and then when she's done she runs off to play and I call her back when I'm finished. My co-workers all know Blythe well.... if it’s just a casual working meeting she likes to join in, say hello, do a dance. (I have more kids than the whole rest of the team combined and the writers I work with most often have no kids at all - they are sympathetic...)
At noon I do a quick tidy up, grab lunch and come back up to my desk to eat and work - I can work in peace during lunch time. Anything that require focus I try to do then.
She has two live meetings in the afternoon - so I call her up, help her log in, find the live link. Gather any supplies or papers she needs. Work on math problems, work on social studies videos and assignments. Upload any assignments. Then log her in for specials each day.
After that she is free to play with neighbors. Cul-de-sac friends have been the saving grace of shelter in place. She got a brand new bike back in March and last week I had to get both tires replaced- they were worn down to the thread... They play and play and play and play and that makes Blythe a happy kid.
The big kids manage their own school/food/day. I check in and say hello. Make sure big kids feel seen and loved but they are own their own school wise. Most days I run Scotia to swim late afternoon. Jaxon gets himself to basketball practice.
I have maintained fantastic performance reviews during this whole time but I’m looking forward to working without this major distraction! .
Cheers!!
I read this a few days ago and started to cry. I’m so glad I got to be home with my kids during the pandemic. I loved getting so much time with my big kids. But that was an exhausting year on top of many, many exhausting years... when I had just barely started to have a more free, less kid intense life. But I survived... moving on.
ReplyDelete