This is such heart breaking news. A few weeks after shelter in place started ECU athletics announced that in order to save money they were cutting Men’s and Women’s Swim and Dive. The athletic program is running a large deficit and this was one step to fix it.
Taye received many emails from other teams looking to recruit him, but he loves ECU and his friends there so he is staying put. His swim career is over just like that. We are all so sad... college swim was amazing. I loved attending the meets. Taye has moments of anger over the incredible amount of work it took to get there and how easily someone just tossed it all away. In hindsight he wishes he played a sport like football that makes money.
Swimming was never the end goal though - an athletic outlet, great friends, an opportunity to challenge himself. Next step is getting a degree and that’s what he’s focusing on now.
Moving on...
Oh no. 😢 So sad that he can’t continue competing, but I’m sure he’ll make a great coach someday, and the lessons he’s learned are countless, I’m sure. 🥰
ReplyDelete