Skip to main content

The Cruise

We are home safe from a really fun trip. I'm so glad we got to go.

First things first,  the night before I was out with the girls, I had slippery shoes on, it was raining lightly.  I slipped down some steps and felt that awful crunch -  something got hurt.  Fortunately my ankle was not broken - just a sprain.  I was able to hobble around pretty well the whole week but it didn't feel good....

We left for Miami early Saturday morning and made it by evening time.  Stayed overnight in a hotel and then got on the cruise Sunday at lunch.  Everyone was pretty excited and shocked by how big the boat was!

We sailed on  Carnival Horizon.  Watch here...

We traveled with our friends the Fosters and Carleen's sister Sam and her family.  A big crowd of 15!



I was surprised by how packed the ship was - so many people.  More than I anticipated and I didn't love that.  But I was pleasantly surprised by how fancy dinner was each night.  There was a buffet cafeteria non stop, but also a fancy restaurant for breakfast and dinner and yummy burger and burrito restaurants for lunches.  I loved sitting down every night with my family and friends (15 of us) and ordering appetizers, entrees and desserts and visiting for at least 90 minutes.  The food was so good and Taye tried interesting things like frog legs, alligator fritters and oysters.  He's not an oyster fan. I would have brought more dinner dress up clothes if I had known.












On Tuesday we docked in Jamaica.  Got off the boat and went to a bobsled ride at the top of Mystic mountain and then hiked up a water fall.  Lines were long but the activities were fun and so beautiful!










Dunn's River waterfall was spectacular. I watched the older kids hike up it because I did not trust my ankle.  At the top I dipped into the water and it was so refreshing.  Blythe and Tyrone climbed with a different group - Blythe had to swim in the pool back at the bobsled ride so she and Tyrone stayed behind for a bit.









On Wednesday we got off the ship on a water taxi in Grand Cayman and went to Seven Mile beach.  The water was the most unbelievable shade of turquoise.  Unreal.  And the water was perfect for floating in all day.  The boys left a little early to go back to the ship - caught a taxi to the dock and then got on the right water taxi to the ship.  Nice job!









The ship had so many fun activities.  The big kids hit up the teen rooms right away and found friends to hang out with all week.  Jaxon played a lot of basketball at the court on the top of the ship.  Basketball overlooking the Caribbean Sea - can't beat that.  Blythe loved the water slides and the pool and spent hours at both.  The water slides were seriously big and didn't faze her one bit.  She was right up in line with the big kids and grownups waiting her turn. She also tried the ropes course twice and was so incredibly brave.










Our last port was Cozumel, Mexico.  The girls and I went to a beach and watched a sea lion show.  Not terribly exciting.  But the boys went four wheeling to the Jade Cavern and jumped in and that was the high light of the trip for them.  Taye is convinced he needs a four wheeler!

















Paid a sum for this picture of the girls holding parrots - but they are so cute.  It was heavy Blythe said.



Unlimited ice cream on the ship and I think all my kids ate multiple cones every day.




Suli cleaned our rooms and made our beds every day.  I chatted with him each morning and evening and got to learn lots about his family and job.  He is from Indonesia and has worked on cruise ships for 15 years.  Mostly 6 months on and then 2 months off.  But this job allows him to take good care of his three kids so he does it.  All the workers were so unbelievably friendly and warm and kind....





Tyrone saw Jaxon dancing in the crowd on the main deck one night.  My kids were so social all week - other than dinner I didn't see them that much on the ship.  Even Scotia disappeared every evening with friends - I had to give her a curfew of midnight.  I didn't expect that.  Tyrone and I went to a comedy show or music show every evening and we all took turns watching Blythe sleep so adults could go out too. I loved the comics but my favorite show was "Love and Marriage" hosted by the cruise director - he had the youngest married couple in the crowd, the oldest married couple in the crowd and a middle of the road married couple answer a bunch of questions.  The oldest couple was a black couple who were so sweet and wonderful and funny.  I laughed so hard!





I feel so lucky to be able to provide such adventure for my family.  Thanks Tyrone!


Comments

  1. Wow! What a blast! Your ship looks seriously amazing. So glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Divorced

Maybe you figured something was up and maybe not.  Tyrone and I have been separated for four years (2 years during covid just living in our house with all the kids, and two years Tyrone living in a condo we purchased nearby) now and just finalized the divorce this spring.  Compared to what I usually hear it was a pretty easy process and I think we are doing a fantastic job taking care of our kids together!  I'm super proud of us!  I feel so light and free and happy and confident.  And I've been on a few dates... all which were super fun and enjoyable and relaxing.  So happy with my life at this stage.  And a few cute date outfits for you: Fancy French restaurant in Durham.  First time having a bottle of wine uncorked and poured at the table. We are both big supporters of public education.  Nearby Mexican restaurant with lots of conversation about our Canadian roots. Playing cards at a brewery in Cary.  Started off so fun and silly. ...

Appaloosa Fest 2025

Mark and Blythe and I drove north and Courtney and Christine and Nicole drove south to meet us at the Labor Day Weekend  Appaloosa Music Festival for the third year in a row.  Georgia's dad's (Ben) band was playing !  They sounded amazing!  Mark's favorite of the whole weekend. Scythian played and we danced.  Then we got home to our haunted house super late and stayed up even later playing a game.  Sunday morning we hiked Knob's ridge.  And then back for a second day of music.  And Blythe taking care of the animals.  Monday morning Courtney and Nicole were feeling a little sick so they headed home.  Mark, Blythe and I hiked to the Seven Pools and then drove home too.  Great weekend! Blythe and I both had shirts on that we took from Courtney's good will  pile last time we were at her house.  

I did not lose my faith I lost my belief

A few years ago just before Christmas Scotia asked Tyrone if Santa was real and he told her the truth. She'd been working up to it - wondering why I had a closet full of presents under a blanket, why the wrapping paper all matched, how Santa could get in the house without a proper fireplace, how could Santa make it around the world in one night, how could he get in houses without a key, why some kids got so much or so little or nothing... finally the evidence was just overwhelming and she asked Tyrone. Post Santa Christmases are just as good as Santa Christmases.  She loves helping me buy presents and she is chief wrapper now.