Skip to main content

Summer is here



Taye turned 16!  We had a low key birthday celebration.  He went shopping for new shoes with Tyrone.  We took donuts to the end of swim practice and all his teammates sang happy birthday.  We had yummy supper and cake at the end of the day. Taye's swim consumes a significant percentage of our family income so I think this less expensive celebration was just right.  I think he looks happy.  Can't believe Baby Taye is so grown.



I took Scotia and Blythe and Isabelle to Three Bears Acres, they got filthy dirty and soaking wet and had a blast.  This slide is a favorite.  Blythe would woosh down by herself. So brave.



Taye starting working as a lifeguard.  Checking off all the appropriate miles stones in preparation for adulthood. 



These hanging baskets on the back porch are so much prettier in person.  You can see them from the living room and kitchen and they make me happy.  Lots of plant watering every day.



Scotia and Taye are both swimming summer league swim team.  Scotia had a fit the first day of practice, but once she got there she realized she remembered lots of friends from last year and she's a great swimmer.  So now totally happy.  As I type she is begging me to leave for swim early. 


Jaxon went to Myrtle Beach with his team for a basketball tournament. 



I know it's officially summer when we meet the Fosters at Falls Lake to BBQ hotdogs and play in the water.  Taye had no intentions of getting in the water but it was too enticing.  We had the big cherry float with and I think they spent two hours tipping each other over, laying claim to the floaty and then getting dethroned.  So fun to watch all the kids, especially the big boys, be so silly and have so much fun. 




Derick had a friend over and the end of the day had them playing video games, playing basketball, eating yummy food and watching the last NBA championship game.  Just what I hoped for with a bigger house and more room to spread out.

Don't want to forget asking Derick what video game they were playing and he responded, "NoYoBiz"  I'm not familiar with that game so I asked for clarification and he said, "None of your Business" and took off running down the stairs with a super big grin and that 'come get me' look.  One of those moments when I am totally charmed by how cute and fun and silly and smart and wonderful all the kids who live in my house are.

Off to swim...



Comments

  1. I can't believe how grown everyone is looking! All too cute! nana r.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Divorced

Maybe you figured something was up and maybe not.  Tyrone and I have been separated for four years (2 years during covid just living in our house with all the kids, and two years Tyrone living in a condo we purchased nearby) now and just finalized the divorce this spring.  Compared to what I usually hear it was a pretty easy process and I think we are doing a fantastic job taking care of our kids together!  I'm super proud of us!  I feel so light and free and happy and confident.  And I've been on a few dates... all which were super fun and enjoyable and relaxing.  So happy with my life at this stage.  And a few cute date outfits for you: Fancy French restaurant in Durham.  First time having a bottle of wine uncorked and poured at the table. We are both big supporters of public education.  Nearby Mexican restaurant with lots of conversation about our Canadian roots. Playing cards at a brewery in Cary.  Started off so fun and silly. ...

Appaloosa Fest 2025

Mark and Blythe and I drove north and Courtney and Christine and Nicole drove south to meet us at the Labor Day Weekend  Appaloosa Music Festival for the third year in a row.  Georgia's dad's (Ben) band was playing !  They sounded amazing!  Mark's favorite of the whole weekend. Scythian played and we danced.  Then we got home to our haunted house super late and stayed up even later playing a game.  Sunday morning we hiked Knob's ridge.  And then back for a second day of music.  And Blythe taking care of the animals.  Monday morning Courtney and Nicole were feeling a little sick so they headed home.  Mark, Blythe and I hiked to the Seven Pools and then drove home too.  Great weekend! Blythe and I both had shirts on that we took from Courtney's good will  pile last time we were at her house.  

I did not lose my faith I lost my belief

A few years ago just before Christmas Scotia asked Tyrone if Santa was real and he told her the truth. She'd been working up to it - wondering why I had a closet full of presents under a blanket, why the wrapping paper all matched, how Santa could get in the house without a proper fireplace, how could Santa make it around the world in one night, how could he get in houses without a key, why some kids got so much or so little or nothing... finally the evidence was just overwhelming and she asked Tyrone. Post Santa Christmases are just as good as Santa Christmases.  She loves helping me buy presents and she is chief wrapper now.