My parents came to visit us in May for 11 days- add that to my mom's visit in February and she spent almost a month with us this winter/spring. Here's what I learned - I would love to have my mom live with us all the time!! We both love to work out in the morning, we liked running errands together, but were also happy to head out alone. We divvied up some chores and worked together on others. She is really fun to have around and it's so nice to have help.
My dad is a serious worker. He showed up and crossed off everything on my list and then some. We added a piece to our driveway to just give us a little more parking/breathing room (his idea). We made a garden box, repaired a cupboard door, replaced a stair post, made a greenway poster frame and a big chalkboard for scotia. My mom painted a bunch of baseboard trim. It's always a mess when they are here but in the end I tidied all up and it looks better than ever.
They brought some treasures with too. My dad made me a new cake stand and a beautiful cutting board. They brought a new treasure box for Blythe. (It's just like Scotia's.) Plus they lugged along a few boxes of my journals and misc from growing up.
My favorite adventure while they were here was a little canoe trip down the Neuse. We rented from Paddle Creek - they met us at the end point, drove us up to the start and helped get canoes in the water. I highly recommend it for an awesome family outing or a fantastic Saturday afternoon date.
They got to go to the kids school for field day and watch Scotia's class win the tug of war. They came with for an Odyssey of the Mind fundraiser car wash and helped us clean cars. Other than that every day was a work out, or biking on the greenway, cleaning and projects and then getting kids to and from dance, basketball, swim etc.
Dad got to take Taye to a swim meet and see him perform. Mom got to take Jaxon to a basketball tournament and watch him - and tried Bojangles too (against my advice)!
We had a few friends over for cards one evening. I high-fived my teammate Emily at the beginning because I knew we were going to win. No one on a team with my parents could possibly have a chance. I ate my words. And Mom's victory dance was awesome!!!
I loved that they got to see us all in action and actually see my kids perform. I really wish they lived closer! I wished they lived in our house!
My dad is a serious worker. He showed up and crossed off everything on my list and then some. We added a piece to our driveway to just give us a little more parking/breathing room (his idea). We made a garden box, repaired a cupboard door, replaced a stair post, made a greenway poster frame and a big chalkboard for scotia. My mom painted a bunch of baseboard trim. It's always a mess when they are here but in the end I tidied all up and it looks better than ever.
They brought some treasures with too. My dad made me a new cake stand and a beautiful cutting board. They brought a new treasure box for Blythe. (It's just like Scotia's.) Plus they lugged along a few boxes of my journals and misc from growing up.
My favorite adventure while they were here was a little canoe trip down the Neuse. We rented from Paddle Creek - they met us at the end point, drove us up to the start and helped get canoes in the water. I highly recommend it for an awesome family outing or a fantastic Saturday afternoon date.
They got to go to the kids school for field day and watch Scotia's class win the tug of war. They came with for an Odyssey of the Mind fundraiser car wash and helped us clean cars. Other than that every day was a work out, or biking on the greenway, cleaning and projects and then getting kids to and from dance, basketball, swim etc.
Dad got to take Taye to a swim meet and see him perform. Mom got to take Jaxon to a basketball tournament and watch him - and tried Bojangles too (against my advice)!
We had a few friends over for cards one evening. I high-fived my teammate Emily at the beginning because I knew we were going to win. No one on a team with my parents could possibly have a chance. I ate my words. And Mom's victory dance was awesome!!!
I loved that they got to see us all in action and actually see my kids perform. I really wish they lived closer! I wished they lived in our house!
![]() |
| Scotia helped with all the smoothing and has a little hand print in the bottom corner to remember. |




Thanks for all the lovely comments. We thoroughly enjoyed being in your li(o)vely home and hanging out with your kids, and your friends and you and Tyrone. mom
ReplyDeleteGrandpa really appreciated Scotias help with the cement-- he really couldn't have finished that day without her help. Thank you Scotia!
ReplyDelete