Skip to main content

Cherry Blossom Festival

This past weekend Courtney and I and our seven kids met in Washington, DC for a cherry blossom adventure.  

Here's the good, the bad and the ugly. 




The Good:
Hanging with good friends and lots of wrestling for the boys
Cafe Rio for supper twice, still my favorite after 20 years
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the Lincoln Monument, The Martin Luther King Jr Memorial
The cherry blossoms - walking along the tidal basin just below the MLK memorial, with a cool breeze blowing off the water and making the cherry blossoms rain down.  It was magical. 
A run with Courtney
The roaring lion at the zoo 
Riding on the metro with kids and not losing anyone
Jaxon saying, referring to the nice apartment we stayed in, "If I was single, and I'm not going to be, I would love an apartment like this"
The boys were so good at taking care of Blythe in the back seat!












The Bad:
The crowds - it was the last weekend of the festival and everything was crowded - the metro, the monuments, the zoo, the parking.  Ugh!
The heat - it was 80 degrees on Sunday.  Just what Courtney was dreaming of  - but it was too hot for hiking around the zoo with a zillion people - especially when the water fountains didn't work and the vending machines were all out of water.





Ugly:
On the way into the city I had to slow down before an exit so I could move over a lane, the poor man behind leaned on his horn for a full minute.  Clearly in the few seconds that I slowed him down I managed to completely ruin his day because a few minutes later he pulled up beside me and let loose with a torrent of foul words, most that my children have never heard before. Then pulled up on the other side for a repeat.  I stayed calm and rolled up my windows.  His bad day didn't need to ruin mine.

After getting up, running, getting all the bags packed, kids showered and dressed, cleaning up the apartment and getting out the door, discovering that my battery was dead.  It took way too long to get it going.

Last DC adventure.

Comments


  1. Those kids are getting so big and handsome! All four! nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. A man yelled at me in the airport once when he thought that I cut the line. He followed me for two gates, and screamed the most profane things at me. It was so bad, other people got involved. I was so shaken, and it's never left me. I still look for that face every time I fly. All you can do is pray for people like that, they have been badly damaged somewhere along the line. :( I'm glad you were able to get away and enjoy the festival. I've always wanted to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Road rage at its worst! Makes you feel bad for people whose lives are so miserable. The cherry blossoms are BEAUTIFUL! I love seeing Jaxon wearing the baby carrier! So cute.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Divorced

Maybe you figured something was up and maybe not.  Tyrone and I have been separated for four years (2 years during covid just living in our house with all the kids, and two years Tyrone living in a condo we purchased nearby) now and just finalized the divorce this spring.  Compared to what I usually hear it was a pretty easy process and I think we are doing a fantastic job taking care of our kids together!  I'm super proud of us!  I feel so light and free and happy and confident.  And I've been on a few dates... all which were super fun and enjoyable and relaxing.  So happy with my life at this stage.  And a few cute date outfits for you: Fancy French restaurant in Durham.  First time having a bottle of wine uncorked and poured at the table. We are both big supporters of public education.  Nearby Mexican restaurant with lots of conversation about our Canadian roots. Playing cards at a brewery in Cary.  Started off so fun and silly. ...

Appaloosa Fest 2025

Mark and Blythe and I drove north and Courtney and Christine and Nicole drove south to meet us at the Labor Day Weekend  Appaloosa Music Festival for the third year in a row.  Georgia's dad's (Ben) band was playing !  They sounded amazing!  Mark's favorite of the whole weekend. Scythian played and we danced.  Then we got home to our haunted house super late and stayed up even later playing a game.  Sunday morning we hiked Knob's ridge.  And then back for a second day of music.  And Blythe taking care of the animals.  Monday morning Courtney and Nicole were feeling a little sick so they headed home.  Mark, Blythe and I hiked to the Seven Pools and then drove home too.  Great weekend! Blythe and I both had shirts on that we took from Courtney's good will  pile last time we were at her house.  

I did not lose my faith I lost my belief

A few years ago just before Christmas Scotia asked Tyrone if Santa was real and he told her the truth. She'd been working up to it - wondering why I had a closet full of presents under a blanket, why the wrapping paper all matched, how Santa could get in the house without a proper fireplace, how could Santa make it around the world in one night, how could he get in houses without a key, why some kids got so much or so little or nothing... finally the evidence was just overwhelming and she asked Tyrone. Post Santa Christmases are just as good as Santa Christmases.  She loves helping me buy presents and she is chief wrapper now.