Five weeks before my due date an early morning doctor's visit showed that my blood pressure was still high and I was starting to show protein in my urine. After a busy day I headed back to the office for another quick check. They were closed and I debated leaving but then saw someone in the back and knocked on the door until they came out. A nurse still there checked my urine again and it was worse and my blood pressure had gone through the roof. She called the doctor on call who said come to the hospital now. I called the Rick's house and Matt answered. I told him I was coming to drop off my boys. No problem he said. Emily saw me at the Ricks and came out to say hello, she offered to take me to the hospital. So we grabbed a quick bag from my house and headed off. Emily was 9 months pregnant and there were some looks when we showed up together at labor and delivery triage where I was was admitted to stay. Emily spent the entire evening with me just visiting – while nurses and doctors hummed in and out. We laughed and had fun and it made a stressful time much better. Tyrone dropped by once on a break (he was working down two floors in the CTSU) and eventually got off at 10pm and came to take Emily’s place. (He was working as a contract nurse back then - no paid time off, no sick leave, no paternity leave….)
I called my mom and told her that either I was going to be on bedrest from now til delivery day or the baby would be coming very soon. She started looking up plane tickets and promised to be there next week.
Things were not improving with bedrest and Sunday morning the doctor said he’d weighed the risks of waiting or of having a premature baby and he thought it best to get going and have the baby. I was on my way to labor and delivery. Tyrone was at stake conference with the boys and his phone turned off. I called Emily hoping she was home chilling before the baby but no luck. I called the Ricks and they were home. Courtney offered to come right over. Matt headed to the church to find Tyrone. Matt claims to have been “inspired” to stay home. It’s the first time I was glad they were playing hooky from church.
Courtney arrived as I was being wheeled over to labor and delivery. She hung out and visited until Tyrone arrived – and then when he went home to get the video camera, change into regular clothes etc. My friends were so great at helping out and keeping things light – no time to get stressed.
Then Tyrone came back and we were started for good. The pitocin started to kick in with starter cramps and then eventually harder contractions. The magnesium sulfate also being pumped through my IV for the high blood pressure gave me a bit of a headache. Tyrone massaged my back and feet for most of the afternoon. It was fantastic! A year’s worth of massages in one day. Matt came over and helped to give me a blessing.
I talked to my mom a few times – eventually being in too much pain. By 7 pm I was around 4cm and starting to feel some serious pain. Around 8 pm I felt like I was almost done – I thought I was at least an 8/9. The nurse checked and said I was only a five and that was it - with that pain level I couldn’t possibly last for five more cm as slow as they were going (almost 8 hours so far) so I told them I was ready for an epidural. Dr Harden came and started getting things ready – popped it in so smooth I didn’t feel a thing. He stood around for about three contractions making sure that they were mellowing out. The abdominal pain was getting less and less but I was feeling a lot of pressure. The doctor disappeared for a minute and I needed to know where he was – just next door in the lounge the nurse said. I think this baby is coming out now I said. He came back and the nurse started to get things set up. She asked Dr Harden if it was time to call the peds team (for premature births) and he said nope let’s see how the first push goes, then he turned around to me again, saw the baby on its way, and then turned back to the nurse and said call now. On your next contraction lets push he said. I waited, then I pushed and saw the head and belly come out and then another little push and she was out. The peds team took her immediately and looked at her first and she was perfect. (9/9 Apgar) And then I got to hold her and she’s beautiful and totally healthy. No problem breathing or anything. She weighed 4 lbs, 14 oz and was 18 inches long. She arrived at 8:20 pm.
My best memory is watching the peds team with her across the room and at 1 minute asking if she's okay. Yes. And asking at two minutes, and three minutes and four. And then at five minutes they brought her to me, packed up and left. She was totally fine.
My best memory is watching the peds team with her across the room and at 1 minute asking if she's okay. Yes. And asking at two minutes, and three minutes and four. And then at five minutes they brought her to me, packed up and left. She was totally fine.
We admired our beautiful little baby and called our parents and friends.
We made it home Tuesday afternoon after a bunch of blood pressure checks for me to be certain I could go. It felt so good to come home to our beautiful house after four and a half days locked in the hopsital! Tuesday eve the boys all picked up Nana at the airport - who came and spent 3 weeks chasing Jaxon and helping me get back to health!
"Scotia is beautiful, quiet and so very, very, tiny. She sleeps all the time. Even keeps her eyes closed when eating. Wednesday eve I saw her open both eyes and look around for a minute. She’s growing already. "
Scotia seemed so fragile once upon a time! Her voice was once so small! Look at her now! Wow.
ReplyDeleteI was so relieved to see health and strength coming back to her mom with each passing day .
Tyrone took me once in the car on the lap to Taye's school and the Children's Playspace downtown, and the Science Museum. Here,s a map--- pre gps--you can do it.
Jaxon and I played and explored after we dropped Taye off at school in the morning. After lunch on the go I headed home with a sleeping little boy in the back seat--- wore him out. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Jaxon explore his world.
Love hearing your birth stories. Emily said this is the week! I will be praying for you and a beautiful healthy baby on Thursday!! Congratulations!!
ReplyDeleteThat is a neat story to hear. I love birth stories! She is beautiful and glad she is so healthy and doing so well. I remember coming to meet her. She was SO tiny!
ReplyDelete