I might have seemed a bit whiny for the past two years and I thought before we work our way out of this mess I should confess. If you are a close friend or family you already know this - but chances are lots of you don't.
Just after our fifth anniversary Tyrone graduated from BYU with a degree in nursing. We accepted a job at UNC Hospitals and moved across the country - when he had worked exactly one year we applied to nurse anesthesia school and got accepted. That first deposit for the "class of 2006" was sent out in the mail the day after Jaxon was born.
We moved to Raleigh with an infant and a toddler and started in on what we thought would be a difficult but successful (of course!) adventure through graduate school. Two thirds of the way through Tyrone had to drop out - after we had poured our hearts and souls into surviving this thing - and it was devastating. We spent the next four years paying off a mountain of student loans (if we had started working in the field he was training for an entire 50% of the total would have been forgiven - but no new job, no new salary and no forgiveness) and Tyrone studied for the CCRN, took a graduate pathosphysiology class (mostly to hang on to pathetic health insurance) and retook the GRE. I should mention here that we were blessed with an outstanding contract nursing job at the closest hospital. That allowed us to pay off loans and still live.
In summer 2010 we started in on grad school again with great expectations that this time through would be so much easier - we knew what to expect and all the kids could dress themselves now right? It didn't take more than a few weeks for a rare form of "second time through nurse anesthesia school with three children now" post traumatic stress disorder to hit and it hasn't been very pleasant since. Tyrone has been stressed and exhausted with school. I've been stressed and exhausted with family life. One time through this school is tough, one time through with a family is a challenge, twice through with a family is almost unbearable.
But in our defense - we have both woken up every day and done what we had to do. And we are working our way out of the fog now and it feels so good.
And thank goodness for my friends and family, who even though they live far away have staged a non stop schedule of activities to give me something constantly to look forward to.
Graduation for the didactic portion of school is in 22 days!

You can do hard things. Fortunately you have an end to this hard thing and it is in sight!
ReplyDeleteYahoo. Bring on Ragnar!
Woo Hoo!! I still remember running two years ago and discussing this and now you're almost done. One person getting a degree with a family takes hard work and dedication from BOTH of you!! So congratulations to him and to you. I totally think you should walk across the stage with him. :) You deserve it.
ReplyDelete{{hugs}}. I feel your pain... a little. You've had a harder road than I did, but I'm convinced you're a stronger woman!!
ReplyDelete22 days!! Hooray for both you. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteBrave post, thanks for sharing. You are both my heroes! We are so happy for your family!
ReplyDeleteHooray!!! You guys are awesome! You did it while raising 3 amazing kids. Don't think because you are going to be done we won't plan fun things to look forward to.
ReplyDeleteYay!!! 22 days that is so exciting!!!! Sloan presents his senior project this Thursday, so the rest of the summer will just be working then the last semester he'll only have 4 classes. After the last 4 years, that's going to feel like vacation!!! I can't even imagine having 3 kids and doing that. You two are amazing!!!!!
ReplyDeleteSo it will be twice as sweet when you finish. You're doing an amazing job!
ReplyDeleteYou made it look effortless! :) I love the quote you put on the top, it is so true!
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing--your family is amazing.
ReplyDeletecongratulations!
For what it's worth, I'm really proud of you guys. You stuck with it even though it's been hard. So glad that classroom work is now done, that must be a relief. Only two more hurtles, right? Clinicals and boards. Looking forward to hearing more good news.
ReplyDeleteYou are strong. It is such a challenge in so many ways. I wish you the best and a successful outcome.
ReplyDelete