Like most 10 year old boys Taye has been obsessed with owning and using a pellet gun. My dad would be the best person to teach him guns skills (he was on the US Biathlon team in the late 60's) so we planned to wait for his next visit and then buy a little red rider.
After Taye got pretty good at starting fires in the fire pit he wanted to learn how to start fires without matches. (oh, heavens!) I tried to help him with no success and I thought about how much Taye would enjoy a trip to NS and hanging out with my adventurous dad. I checked out some flight prices (and then changed my mind).
And then one day Taye told me that we really needed to do some wilderness camping to see how well we could survive in the woods!
That was it. I wasn't going to miss this chance when Taye was still so interested and eager. I decided to make it happen, and I did.
We worked out an agreement with Taye that he would pay the airlines "unaccompanied minor fee" and we would cover the ticket and passport.
Two weeks before his departure he handed me his stack of money in 20 dollars bills. I love that he was invested in this great adventure too!
And then one day Taye told me that we really needed to do some wilderness camping to see how well we could survive in the woods!
That was it. I wasn't going to miss this chance when Taye was still so interested and eager. I decided to make it happen, and I did.
We worked out an agreement with Taye that he would pay the airlines "unaccompanied minor fee" and we would cover the ticket and passport.
Two weeks before his departure he handed me his stack of money in 20 dollars bills. I love that he was invested in this great adventure too!

Wow. That's an awesome kid you got there.
ReplyDeleteWhat awesome adventures! I wonder who had more fun -- Taye or your dad? :)
ReplyDelete