Taye wanted to try the okra at the farmers market. The only thing I knew about okra was that it got slimy in stews - ewww. So we asked one of the workers at a booth. She said to slice it, dip it in cornmeal and fry it. So we did just that. Delicous! A little homemade veggie chip. We are southerners now!
1. Heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in small saucepan.
2. Slice okra in 1/4 inch pieces
3. Dip handful of pieces in cornmeal and then drop in hot oil
4. Cook 1-2 minutes, moving them around a bit
5. Remove with a slotted spoon, let rest of a piece of paper towel, sprinkle with salt
6. Make more
And it wasn't slimy? Michael hates slimy okra.
ReplyDeleteNot at all!
ReplyDeleteNope, fried is the only way to eat it! Some boil it, and it's disgusting! I hadn't even heard of okra until I was in Georgia. Then I had to look it up in the dictionary to make sure they weren't pulling my leg -- how can there be a vegetable I hadn't heard of? Turns out there was ...
ReplyDeleteI've always seen it never tried it. I've heard about the slimmyness.
ReplyDelete