Skip to main content

Tornado Weekend

Let me preface this weekend recap by saying that 9 months into this first year of anesthesia school I have totally over dosed on my kids. I am completely drained from my efforts to provide for their endless needs this year while coping with some serious stress and not enough help. (Just 18 days away now!)

Tyrone's rotation this week was the evening shift from 3-11. That meant on Thursday I picked up the boys, came home for a brief snack, took Taye to swim, back tracked a few miles to take Jaxon to soccer, left Jaxon there in capable hands to go pick up Taye, then back to soccer to wrap up, then home for supper and bed - which is still a major process even with two bigs boys. (No one likes the same books any more.)

Friday afternoon and eve I also had all the kids. Saturday morning I was running by myself and took Jaxon with (on his bike) so Tyrone could study in peace (take one boy out of the equation and all is well). That gave me 8 miles of listening to Jaxon talk. Then I came home, tidied up, provided lunch, and said goodbye to Tryone as he headed out to his evening shift.

The storms started not much later and we curled up on the couch to watch the weather. About the time the forecasters were getting hysterical and the screen was covered in red everything went dark. We watched the storm go past and it was crazy but not enough to make us hide in a closet.

We pulled the grill in under the eaves on the back porch so we could cook hamburgers in the pouring rain, and made instant chocolate pudding for dessert - no power needed.


After supper the sky cleared and we went for a walk down the golf course with some friends. It was clean and shiny and beautiful out.

We came home and the kids showered and got ready for bed with candles and flashlights.

Tyrone came home shortly after 11. Drove down our dark street, pulled into our dark driveway, opened his car door to get out and the whole house lit up. He walked in - warmed up his supper in the microwave and settled on the couch to watch the news.

Sunday afternoon I helped my kids and some neighbors dye eggs, blow them out and decorate them. That was a party. Then I took them for a walk down to the lake.

Sunday eve we went on a quick ride to see the storm damage. Two miles from my house it looks like a war zone, dozens of trees crashed through houses, huge trees snapped in half, insulation all over from a metal roof that was ripped off a warehouse, and powerlines littering the road. The storm came right off the belt line exit I use, up the road I head home on, skipped over our neighborhood and then hit to the North of us again. See more here and here.

I feel lucky that my house and family are okay, but sad for those who have a big mess to dig out.

(And yes, all my weekend childcare gave Tyrone enough time to study so that he rocked his test on Monday. Just four more to go for the semester!)

Comments

  1. You're awesome Jess! It'll be worth it in the end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you guys! It was fun catching up on your blog!! I'm running my first half marathon this weekend- I always think of you when I run! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Divorced

Maybe you figured something was up and maybe not.  Tyrone and I have been separated for four years (2 years during covid just living in our house with all the kids, and two years Tyrone living in a condo we purchased nearby) now and just finalized the divorce this spring.  Compared to what I usually hear it was a pretty easy process and I think we are doing a fantastic job taking care of our kids together!  I'm super proud of us!  I feel so light and free and happy and confident.  And I've been on a few dates... all which were super fun and enjoyable and relaxing.  So happy with my life at this stage.  And a few cute date outfits for you: Fancy French restaurant in Durham.  First time having a bottle of wine uncorked and poured at the table. We are both big supporters of public education.  Nearby Mexican restaurant with lots of conversation about our Canadian roots. Playing cards at a brewery in Cary.  Started off so fun and silly. ...

Appaloosa Fest 2025

Mark and Blythe and I drove north and Courtney and Christine and Nicole drove south to meet us at the Labor Day Weekend  Appaloosa Music Festival for the third year in a row.  Georgia's dad's (Ben) band was playing !  They sounded amazing!  Mark's favorite of the whole weekend. Scythian played and we danced.  Then we got home to our haunted house super late and stayed up even later playing a game.  Sunday morning we hiked Knob's ridge.  And then back for a second day of music.  And Blythe taking care of the animals.  Monday morning Courtney and Nicole were feeling a little sick so they headed home.  Mark, Blythe and I hiked to the Seven Pools and then drove home too.  Great weekend! Blythe and I both had shirts on that we took from Courtney's good will  pile last time we were at her house.  

I did not lose my faith I lost my belief

A few years ago just before Christmas Scotia asked Tyrone if Santa was real and he told her the truth. She'd been working up to it - wondering why I had a closet full of presents under a blanket, why the wrapping paper all matched, how Santa could get in the house without a proper fireplace, how could Santa make it around the world in one night, how could he get in houses without a key, why some kids got so much or so little or nothing... finally the evidence was just overwhelming and she asked Tyrone. Post Santa Christmases are just as good as Santa Christmases.  She loves helping me buy presents and she is chief wrapper now.