These are the perfect sweet and salty treat. I'd make them all the time but I think I'm the only person in my house who loves them. I've had a thing for dried apricots for as long as I can remember...
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 pinch saffron threads or 1/2 tsp ground cardamon (I skip this since I don't have either)
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup shelled dry roasted pistachio nuts
1 cup raisins
1 cup dried apricots, snipped into bite size pieces
1. Heat oven to 325F. Line an 8x8x2 inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over pan edges. Lightly coat foil with non stick cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, oats and brown sugar. Stir in butter until mixture clings together. Press 3/4 cup of the oat mixture into the bottom of the pan.
3. For filling, in a small saucepan over low heat bring the condensed milk and, if desired saffron or cardamom to boiling. In a bowl combine coconut, nuts, raisins and apricots; add condensed milk mixture. Stir to combine. Pour coconut mixture over oats layer, using a spatula to spread evenly. Sprinkle remaining oats mixture over filling.
4. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes.Lift from pan by foil edges; cool completely. (It will take hours before they stick together and become nice and chewy. Plan ahead!) Cut into rectangles. Makes 16 Bars.
Comments
Post a Comment