When I was a little kid I remember crossing the big bridge over Halifax harbour and seeing some men way up at the top painting. I asked my Dad if he would ever do that job and he said he would if he had to. I take that to mean it wouldn't be his favorite but if he needed a job to feed his family he would totally do it.
I don't know anyone who doesn't feel the same way - whatever it takes to keep my family fed and sheltered.
Now if I lived across some imaginary line from a land flowing with milk and honey and on my side poverty and despair and the other side was education, job opportunities and health care for my family - nothing would stop me! And it probably wouldn't stop you either if you think about it.
I don't know anyone who doesn't feel the same way - whatever it takes to keep my family fed and sheltered.
Now if I lived across some imaginary line from a land flowing with milk and honey and on my side poverty and despair and the other side was education, job opportunities and health care for my family - nothing would stop me! And it probably wouldn't stop you either if you think about it.
Thank you for putting up this post. It's so true and it makes me so mad when people don't realize why so many people try to come to this country. I almost cried when I read it because I've seen so many people affected by it.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely true, but it is also sad how many don't try to get her legally first. The sad thing about illegal immigrants is that they are not safe here. People can rip them off, rape them, etc. and have no fear of police involvement since they are too afraid to call police. I realized this a few years ago when a woman (here illegally) had her throat slit and was found wandering in an orchard instead of calling police so she wouldn't be deported. SO SAD! I wish there was a good way to share the wealth so we didn't have to worry about immigration issues.
ReplyDelete