Many years ago, just out of college, I worked for a great software company called Novell. They had wonderful benefits, including top of the line health insurance that they paid for. We had $10 dr visit copays and everything else was covered 100%. I remember thinking, what's the big deal, health coverage here isn't much different than Canada. We had Taye when I worked there, and grand total for all my care, his birth and everything associated with it was $10. That was it. What a deal.
Then we moved to Raleigh, did some schooling and paid an arm and a leg for the insurance school offered. We had Scotia on that insurance. The deductible was only $100 and it was still 80/20 but they didn't cover well child check ups, or more than $1500 a day for the hospital. As you might recall I got sick, spent a few days in the hospital, Scotia was born early and weighed four pounds. She visited the pediatrician every few days in the beginning and then needed a monthly shot all winter to avoid RSV. The shots ranged from $1500 -2000 each. I paid off my portion of the OB, I paid off the pediatrician bills, I paid off my portion of the very large hospital bill, and I thought I had paid off my portion of the RSV shots. Then just a few months ago when I was so close to paying off the hospital I got a surprise, one last shot that they'd forgotten to bill.
Then I stopped working, we used BYU's insurance for a bit and then Tyrone got a job at UNC-Chapel Hill Hospitals. We had state employee health insurance then. Bigger co-pays, $350 deductible and 80/20 after that. Jaxon was a little more expensive - over a thousand dollars. But a cute kid and still a great deal.
Then we moved to Raleigh, did some schooling and paid an arm and a leg for the insurance school offered. We had Scotia on that insurance. The deductible was only $100 and it was still 80/20 but they didn't cover well child check ups, or more than $1500 a day for the hospital. As you might recall I got sick, spent a few days in the hospital, Scotia was born early and weighed four pounds. She visited the pediatrician every few days in the beginning and then needed a monthly shot all winter to avoid RSV. The shots ranged from $1500 -2000 each. I paid off my portion of the OB, I paid off the pediatrician bills, I paid off my portion of the very large hospital bill, and I thought I had paid off my portion of the RSV shots. Then just a few months ago when I was so close to paying off the hospital I got a surprise, one last shot that they'd forgotten to bill.So today I am thrilled to announce that just one month before her second birthday little Scotia is finally paid for. I won't even attempt to add up the cost because my head might explode. But it was still a great deal. She's delightful.
Now Tyrone works contract and we buy our own very expensive private insurance. It will save us from bankruptcy but that's about it. Tyrone's back is hurting. The bills are pouring in again...
Some days I wish I was still freezing my bum off up north. At least if I got frost bite I would know that the medical bills would be covered!
Comments
Post a Comment