At the top of the path behind our house there is a fabulous blackberry patch. We've been raiding it for a few days now and today Taye took some of his friends up to pick and eat. I took Jaxon and Scotia to the gym with me and when I got back, Tyrone was upstairs, and Taye and his friends were busy "cooking", making a blackberry dessert. When I arrived they had flour, water and an egg in a bowl and they were busy mixing. I suggested they add some sugar and oil and baking soda which they just sort of dumped in. Then they added their berries and cooked the mixture in a tiny muffin tin. The muffins were actually pretty edible. Nothing amazing but the kids were sure pleased.


Later with another friend in tow they headed back up to pick more. A while later I hear Taye crying like crazy heading for the house - he'd been stung by a wasp/bee/hornet and was hurting. He told me Andrew had been stung too so I gave him a cold cloth and headed up to find the other kids. They were at the top of the hill walking home slowly and Andrew seemed no worse for the sting - wasn't crying or anything.
When we got back I called Andrew's mom to tell her he was home and ready to be picked up, and that he'd been stung. By the time she arrived Andrew had white spots/welts all over his face. By the time she was talking to the pediatrician on the phone his eyelids were swelling. The Dr had us give him some benedryl and then book it for the office.
There he got a big shot and things calmed down. Courtney now has a kid allergic to bee stings and has to carry an EPI pen around all the time. This might be a big deal for some moms, but a few months ago Courtney's oldest son was diagnosed with diabetes - so she already has a diaper bag chock full of needles and meds and all the expertise to use them. I think a little EPI pen will fit in their just fine.
Just glad today that it turned out okay and we were able to get Andrew help in time...
WOW I pray that I never have that trial. My cousin's little one is severely allergic to peanuts and is lactose intolerant and I stress over the days that I watch him for fear that he might touch something or injest it when I am not looking everything has been processed with peanuts or has milk in it!!
ReplyDeleteAs for your friend that is great that you took the time to help her out I know that we for sure take things for granted especially when it comes to the items that are essential!! thanks for the reminder to be grateful and prepared for anything!!!