can buy a lot of positive attention.
(Here's a blog entry I wrote last spring and never posted - it reminded me of a quote that Tyrone used today that I wanted to share: ….[the poor] are not hungry for bread; they are hungry for love. - Mother Teresa)
A few weeks ago I took Scotia in for a well baby checkup. The NP and I oohed and awwed over how much she's grown, how cute she is. How she tells everyone she doesn't like, especially Drs/nurses "bye,bye". Then we discussed her eating -which is fine, her sleeping - which is great and her talking, which is a bit behind but catching up. In the middle of it all I thought how lucky I was to spend time with someone who just cared about my baby's health and happiness and would spend all this time with me and Scotia making sure everything was okay. There's not a parent in the world who doesn't wish for that kind of postive attention for their child once a twice a year.
Then later I was at my son's preschool where is is wonderfully happy and has the most positive teachers, these two older ladies love him dearly and have had time to make him custom homework sheets (to keep up with Taye) for him to do at home. They taught him silly songs, and how to zip his coat, and all about hibernating animals and on and on. That kind of love doesn't come cheap. Tyrone works hard to pay for health insurance and good preschools and swim team and all the other fun stuff our kids do.
All that made me think that all anybody really wants is positive attention. If you're lucky to have enough money you can buy all sorts of positive attention for your kids. Without money you're stuck in the ER with another sick kid, an overcrowded day care....
But every kid needs positive attention whether parents can afford some or not. So this week I pledge to make sure that one kid in my primary with a difficult family situation has the best teacher I can offer him and that I'll always tell his mom something great he did that day, and I'll donate a few extra containers of peanut butter to the foodbank so some kids can have a full belly after lunch - and I'll smile at every kid I see and offer them a few minutes of my attention and conversation.
Are you doing anything?
(Here's a blog entry I wrote last spring and never posted - it reminded me of a quote that Tyrone used today that I wanted to share: ….[the poor] are not hungry for bread; they are hungry for love. - Mother Teresa)
A few weeks ago I took Scotia in for a well baby checkup. The NP and I oohed and awwed over how much she's grown, how cute she is. How she tells everyone she doesn't like, especially Drs/nurses "bye,bye". Then we discussed her eating -which is fine, her sleeping - which is great and her talking, which is a bit behind but catching up. In the middle of it all I thought how lucky I was to spend time with someone who just cared about my baby's health and happiness and would spend all this time with me and Scotia making sure everything was okay. There's not a parent in the world who doesn't wish for that kind of postive attention for their child once a twice a year.
Then later I was at my son's preschool where is is wonderfully happy and has the most positive teachers, these two older ladies love him dearly and have had time to make him custom homework sheets (to keep up with Taye) for him to do at home. They taught him silly songs, and how to zip his coat, and all about hibernating animals and on and on. That kind of love doesn't come cheap. Tyrone works hard to pay for health insurance and good preschools and swim team and all the other fun stuff our kids do.
All that made me think that all anybody really wants is positive attention. If you're lucky to have enough money you can buy all sorts of positive attention for your kids. Without money you're stuck in the ER with another sick kid, an overcrowded day care....
But every kid needs positive attention whether parents can afford some or not. So this week I pledge to make sure that one kid in my primary with a difficult family situation has the best teacher I can offer him and that I'll always tell his mom something great he did that day, and I'll donate a few extra containers of peanut butter to the foodbank so some kids can have a full belly after lunch - and I'll smile at every kid I see and offer them a few minutes of my attention and conversation.
Are you doing anything?
This is a great post! You're right on. If we can be positive for any one kid, then it's worth it for all of our efforts. I really think kids excel when they're hearing it from someone other than their parents. I try to compliment children and hope that others will do the same to mine!
ReplyDelete